Recipe of the Month: Peaches, Peppers, and Pork…Oh My!!
Our Executive Chef from Crushed Ice Catering recently competed in The Big Green Egg Competition and WON the Pork division. Now it’s your turn to make this winning recipe!
- 1 Gallon Water
- 1 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 6 Bay Leaves
- 1 T Black Peppercorns
- 1 T Whole Coriander Seeds
- 1 T Whole Allspice
- 1 Head of Fresh Garlic; Split
- 16 oz Ghost Pepper Vinegar (heat white or rice wine vinegar to 180 degrees, add dried ghost peppers in clean seal-able container: 6 dried peppers to every 2 quarts of vinegar)
- 1 Cup Honey
- 2 Cups White Sugar
8 Full-size Pork Shanks
4 Fresh Peaches
1. Warm half gallon of water and spices together.
2. Once all spices are added, add second half of water.
3. Cool Brine.
4. Once Brine is cooled, add Pork Shanks and allow to sit for night. Our Chef recommends letting the Pork Shanks Brine overnight.
1. Reduce Vinegar, Honey, and Sugar over heat until slight glaze.
2. Divide Glaze into 2 equal halves. Reserve 1 half for Pork Shanks and the other half for Fresh Peaches
Bring it all together now!
- Marinate Fresh Peaches in Glaze (optional: peel and slice peaches in half then add marinade) in a seal-able bag for up to 4 hours
- Grill Pork Shanks on Big Green Egg for 8 hours at 250 degrees while adding Glaze onto the shanks every hour. (Cook Shanks 8 hours or util tender and pulling off the bone)
- Once shanks are cooked, take the peaches out of the marinade and grill 10 minutes per side. This will allow the sugars to caramelize onto the peaches.
- Serve Family-Style with a salad of your choice!