Traditional Irish Pudding
Crushed Ice Catering’s December Recipe of the Month will definitely be a crowd pleaser whether you’re serving the dessert at a large holiday party or just sharing it on a cozy evening with family! Happy Holidays, everyone!
Yield: 2 Puddings
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter, Room Temperature
- 1 Cup Milk*
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour, Plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 1/2 Cups Raisins, Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Dates, Chopped
- 1/2 Cups Walnuts or Pecans, Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Candied Orange or Lemon Citron, Finely Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Apples, Peeled
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Boiling Water
* 1/2 Cup Fruit Juice & 1/2 Cup Brandy may be substituted for the milk if desired
Nutmeg Sauce Ingredients
- 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar*
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
*Brown Sugar may be substituted for Granulated Sugar if desired
- Grease two 2LB Coffee Cans, Two 2QT Pudding Molds, or Two 2QT Oven Proof Deep Dishes.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk, eggs, molasses, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Add raisins, dates, nuts, candied orange or lemon citron, apples, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Fill each greased pan 1/2 full of batter. Cover tops of pans with lids or 2 layers of aluminum foil. In a large pot or roaster, place molds on trivets or a rack. Add boiling rater 2/3 up the sides of the mold. Bring water rapidly to a boil. Reduce heat to Medium-Low, and cover pot or roaster. Boil Gently for 4 to 4 1/2 hours, adding more boiling water when necessary or until fork comes out clean when put into the center of the pudding.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in refrigerator, covered, until time to serve. The puddings will also freeze well.
- To serve, steam for one hour before serving to heat thoroughly. Unmold and serve hot with Nutmeg Sauce.
- For the Nutmeg Sauce: In a large saucepan over Medium-High heat, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add boiling water to cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes, until ingredients are well blended.